Prahran is a serene suburb situated 5 Kms Southeast of Melbourne's Central Business District, and it is located within the City of Stonnington local government.
Nestled between South Yarra and Windsor, Prahran is known for its dynamic bar scenes, and hip cafes. The population here stands at 12,982 at 2016 Census.
The shopping street Chapel Street is a mix of upscale boutiques and thrift stores. At Chapel Street Bazaar, an array of stalls sell vintage clothes and furniture. It also has a plethora of art scenes, both commissioned and otherwise.
Prahran is home to a large collection of architectural buildings, and many taking pride of place in Victorian Heritage Register. Thus eclectic suburb has a lot of gardens scattered all through the area.
The top educational institutions here are Our Lady Of Lourdes Catholic Primary School, and Windsor Primary School. There is a music school too, The SoundLab.
Some Cool Facts about Prahran
- Prahran takes its name from Pur-ra-run, an amalgamation of 2 Aboriginal words, meaning ‘land partially surrounded by water’
- Greville Street is a hotspot with chic boutiques, trendy cafes and stylish bars.
- The Prahran Market is a foodie’s heaven with a wide range of foods that tickle the palate.
- Prahran features many turn of the century emporiums and heritage buildings.
- The Prahran Skate Park has the best skateboading facilities in Victoria.
- The Orrong Romanis Park is the largest part in Prahran.