Moving house with your pet? Do this!
We understand that moving house with your pet is not as easy as it may sound. Being a pet owner, you have to consider all the arrangements necessary to take care of your beloved and furry friend.
Already, you are worried about how you will secure a new place suitable for you and your pet. Then there is the matter of dealing with your furniture and other utilities such as TV and WIFI connection or water and electricity supply, among others.
Moving with pets does not have to be as stressful as it seems. There are several things you can do to make the process a bit easier and less stressful.
Well, here we are going to share with you some tips on how to move conveniently with your pet.
5 things to do when moving with your pet
1. Choose the appropriate area - Pet facilities are always important when you move house, and you will save yourself a lot of hassle if you choose the area convenient for your pets needs. For instance, if your dog enjoys outdoor walks and playing in the park, choose an area catering to that choice.
2. Maintain your routine - Try to stick to the routine you already follow for your little friend.
Keeping them in a familiar environment will make shifting easier for them.
3. Find a new veterinary doctor - Finding the right vet is essential to ensure that they are comfortable in their new home. So, locate a new veterinary doctor closer to your new location that you and your animal can trust as soon as you settle down.
4. Enable their microchip - Microchips for the pet? Yes! Moving with your pet is a lot easier if you have them microchipped. It is especially true when you have to be somewhere quickly and cannot find a good pet-friendly moving company. Besides, it can be useful when they go out to explore their new surrounding. If your pet already has been microchipped, switch its address to the new house that you are moving in.
5. Keep calm - Your pet, especially a dog, is there only for you. Dogs don't care about anything else. They are intuitive and can sense the emotion you are going through. Therefore, try to keep your cool. If you are relaxed, it will be easier for your pet.
5 things you shouldn't do when moving with your pet
1. Don't feed them before getting into the car- They have the same travel sickness as humans when they travel for a longer duration in a car.
2. Don't let them loose in the new locality- Check for the security first. For instance, if there is a garden your pet wants to explore, look out for any gaps in the fencing around the park.
3. Don't wash their belongings- The familiar smell of their stuff will make them feel right at home and in a friendly environment. Also, do not pack their bedding and toys until the last moment.
4. Don't scold them for any misbehaviour- Everything is new for them too. Gradually, train them according to the new home and just let them be.
5. Don't assume they will adjust instantly- Even they need time to settle down in their new home. Your pets may take time to adjust to the new surroundings. Dogs, especially, can become anxious due to moving. Give them time.
Recommended travel checklist for your pets
Make sure you gather all these things before beginning your journey to your final destination.
● Pet food for travel and new home
● Bowls for water and food
● Treats and toys
● Leashes and bedding
● Towels and liners
● Litterbox and plastic bags
● Handy tissues
● Veterinary documents
● Some pictures (just in case)
It is not easy to move with a big pet. No matter how long you give, they will never be ready for the transition. And this is why you need to prepare enough time for your pet. Because in the end, you want to see how your pets behave when they reach their new home and environment.
Once you have the right plan in place, moving house with your pet can feel like a breeze. All of the mentioned tips will help you manage your move, not run late and still keep the cat calm.
Call 03 9357 7134 for any moving assistance.